Being a great team leader isn’t about being the best in a particular field – for instance, the most experienced sales people don’t always make the best sales managers. Team leadership skills can be developed and honed, enabling team leaders to get the most from the team – and themselves.
“The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority.”
Team leader development is structured into four nonconsecutive full-day sessions. There is a pre-programme of self- and manager-assessment – so that the programme properly targets the areas which you and your organisation needs to develop. Team leader development is aimed at first-tier managers, such as team leaders, cell leaders, process leaders, supervisors and shift leaders. Includes personality profile – all delegates receive an Insights® personality profile, to help them better understand themselves and how they interact with others.
It is designed to help you:
- Get clear about the most helpful and effective approach to being a team leader.
- Look afresh at your area of responsibility and see what improvements you can make with a bottom line impact.
- Create a sense of ownership and being valued in your team.
- Understand yourself and connect more effectively with others.
- Value different behaviours, approaches and styles.
- Develop a more tolerant and non-judgmental approach to managing.
- Recognise what’s important to you and the company, and prioritise accordingly.
- Get clear about what matters to you, for yourself and your team.
- Take a simple yet focused approach to planning that can be used for planning anything from meetings to projects.
- Develop confidence in your communication style.
- Understand how to structure communication effectively.
- Give and receive effective feedback.
- Be more effective with people at all levels.
- Learn to say no and mean it!
- Be able to behave assertively, and know the difference between aggressive and assertive.
- Define where and how you add value to your team and organisation through your role.
- Adopt an approach to delegation that stops you thinking “It’s quicker/easier to do this myself!”
- Set up interviews that work, whether it’s recruitment, return-to-work or informal disciplinaries.
- Learn to refine your listening skills.
- Understand how to ask relevant and useful questions.
- Review your own development.
- Structure and make an effective presentation.
Team leader development is structured into four nonconsecutive full-day sessions.
- Ownership and responsibility.
- Attitudes of a team leader.
- Innovation in the workplace.
- Business improvement projects.
- A methodology for defining and assessing business improvements.
- Effective working relationships.
- Insights into self and others.
- Self-management and organisation: values, planning and prioritising.
- Communicating with impact.
- Good communication at work
- Personal effectiveness: attitudes and assertiveness.
- Critical results : what do I really deliver and how do I get those results with and through others.
- Effective delegation process.
- Effective interviewing: establishing purpose, rapport, listening and questioning skills.
- Final presentations and celebrations: refining presentation skills.
- Tracking, recognizing and valuing achievement.