Whilst some people are ‘natural leaders’, most find leading and managing to be a challenging experience for which they have had little preparation. We believe that clear leadership and effective management skills can be developed and don’t require a ‘gift for leadership’.
“Treat employees like partners and they act like partners.”
Fred Allen, Chairman, Pitney-Bowes
Leading and managing is structured into four nonconsecutive full-day sessions. There is a pre-programme of self- and manager-assessment – so that the programme properly targets the areas which you and your organisation needs to develop. Includes personality profile – all delegates receive an Insights® personality profile, to help them better understand themselves and how they interact with others. Leading and managing is aimed at the middle-manager level, those new to their role, or those who have been performing their role for a while without formal training.
It is designed to help you:
- Establish a clear platform for development.
- Get clear about the most helpful and effective approach to being a manager.
- Take a simple yet focused approach to planning that can be used for planning anything from meetings to projects.
- Understand and use your Insights® profile to good business effect.
- Value different behaviours, approaches and styles.
- Look afresh at your area of responsibility and see what improvements an innovative approach can make – improvements with bottom-line impact.
- Create a sense of ownership and being valued in your team.
- Recognise what’s important, and prioritise accordingly.
- Get clear about what matters to you, for yourself and your team.
- Be more effective with people at all levels.
- Define where and how you add value to through your role.
- Adopt an approach to delegation that stops you thinking “It’s quicker/easier to do this myself!”
- Understand the value of coaching in your role.
- Identify opportunities to take a coaching approach to managing.
- Learn to refine your listening skills.
- Give and receive effective feedback.
- Understand how to ask relevant and useful questions.
- Develop confidence in your communication style.
- Understand how to structure communication effectively.
- Use a solid, rigorous approach to review your own development.
- Structure and make an effective presentation.
Leading and managing is structured into four nonconsecutive full-day sessions.
- How do I move forward and from where.
- Ownership and responsibility.
- Leadership and management: aspects of my role.
- Purposeful goalsetting.
- Insights Discovery® profile.
- Business improvement projects.
- A methodology for defining and assessing business improvements.
- Self-management and organisation: values and prioritising.
- Critical results: what do I really deliver and how do I get those results with and through others.
- Effective delegation process.
- Coaching skills: listening, feedback and asking questions.
- Good communication at work.
- Final presentations and celebrations: refining presentation skills.
- Tracking, recognising and valuing achievement.