Mark’s background combines over 20 years building and leading high performance teams as a senior officer in the Royal Air Force as well as experience in the civil sector as a leadership consultant, facilitator and coach. He is both highly qualified and vastly experienced, and brings an added dimension from working with high performance teams in international environments.
Although the armed forces can be perceived as a traditional command & control management and leadership model, Mark held an executive position on the RAF Hercules Fleet that provided tactical support to the Special Forces. He also commanded the MOD’s Airborne Trials unit. Both are examples of High Performing Teams who need to deliver exceptional results through teamwork based on trust, empowerment and decision making in demanding and dynamic environments. Mark achieved this through team workshops of 8/10 people; a coaching leadership style and role modeling
The context in which these high performance teams operated is similar to the many industries: uncertainty; complexity; ambiguity and high pressure. Developing autonomous, high performing teams in the RAF is directly applicable to businesses that strive for excellence.
Mark’s practical application has been combined with academic learning, gaining a Masters Degree in Leadership Studies at Exeter University and a postgraduate qualification in Executive Coaching.
Mark was the RAF Leadership Specialist at the Defence Academy, Shrivenham, which trains the future leaders of all three armed services and those from many countries around the world. During his time here, he designed and delivered leadership packages for the advanced and junior officer command courses. At RAF Brize Norton & RAF Lyneham, he was invited to design and conduct leadership interventions for the Station & Squadron Executive Teams. He also developed junior and middle manager leadership courses that are still being delivered today.
Recent projects have included:
- Skanska: workshops with senior leadership teams that aligned strategy & vision to core values. This successfully led to transformation of the operating culture and alignment to the corporate ethos.
- Acer: design and delivery of a Strategic Leadership Programme as a vehicle for the senior management team to develop and embed a new leadership culture.
- Knipe Whiting Heath: following a period of mentoring and reflection with the directors designed and led a 2-day off site workshop with the aim of building a high performing and engaged team aligned to the vision and strategy of the business.
- M&C Saatchi Group: MBTI workshop – to get a better understanding of personality styles, and how to value diversity.
- Blackwells: design and conduct values workshops.
- Mark is qualified and registered in Psychological Testing, Levels A & Intermediate B with the British Psychological Society, and uses a range of tools to help with personal and team development.